The Struggles of Getting Betty Healthy Again

So early this week I was given the fright of my life. Betty had just finished eating her breakfast at 6:10 am on Tuesday morning. She began walking across the kitchen and then promptly fell on her side and had a seizure. 30 seconds later and she’s awake and responsive but unable to stand up. We helped her up and after a few seconds, she was able to walk, although still a little wobbly. Five minutes after this she was back to toddling around as if nothing had happened.

Off to the vets.. again!

I took Betty to the vets the minute they opened and the lovely vet gave her a thorough check-over. There was nothing wrong with Betty that was immediately obvious. To be on the safe side I opted to pay the extra £110 for in-depth blood analysis. Some of the vets were happy to see Betty. In the 7 weeks that Betty has lived with us, I’ve spent nearly £1000 on vet bills, so she has become friendly with some of the vets at our practice.

The Struggles of Getting Betty Healthy Again


The vet phoned at around 12 pm that day advising me that the blood tests had come back clear. I was quite relieved at this because it means that there’s nothing immediately wrong with Betty’s liver or kidneys. The advice from the vet was that the next step in this process will be a referral to a specialist at a cost of £3000.

The vet recommended that we don’t opt for the referral immediately. There’s a good possibility that this seizure will be a one-off. Our youngest adoption George had a similar seizure the day after we rescued him back in May 2016. Luckily he hasn’t had another seizure since. At the moment there seems to be little point rushing to have £3000 worth of strenuous tests on Betty when she has only had one mild seizure.

The Struggles of Getting Betty Healthy Again

When we first adopted Betty she was in a sorry state. She had had a litter 4 weeks prior and we still don’t know what happened to the puppies. She had mastitis and metritis and required three different medications. We booked her in for her spay as soon as the vet allowed us to. During her spay, the surgeon found that she was in the early stages of pyometra. Pyometra is a serious condition which is often fatal in . The treatment for pyometra is spaying. Betty sure had a lucky escape there!

In the few weeks following her surgery, Betty had been in great health, right up until her seizure on Tuesday morning. We’ve agreed with our vet that the best course of action now is to play the waiting game. They have prescribed us diazepam to administer if she has another seizure, to make it the ordeal a bit easier for her. I’ll post an update in the coming weeks to let you all know how she’s getting on.



  1. April 5, 2017 / 12:05 am

    That must have been such a frightening experience for you. Poor Betty has been through so much, she is so lucky to have you helping her get healthy. I hope the seizure turns out to be just a one-off and she does well x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Dreaming of Summer SandalsMy Profile

  2. WhatLauraLoves
    April 6, 2017 / 3:42 am

    Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that Betty has had to go back to the vets again, its awful seeing our furry friends poorly. We used to have rabbits and two of them would have seizures, it was horrible to see! xxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge